OpenSSH on Maemo not only offers encrypted secure remote shell, it also comes with functions that runs like the desktop version. Such as ssh socks 5 tunneling, that can be used to encrypt traffic transmit of the programs that supports socks 5 proxy.
Here's how to do it :
- Install "OpenSSH Client and Server" package from "Menu" --> "More" then "App manager" icon
- Open "X Terminal" command line app
- Become root by executing,
- If this is the first time becoming root, give the user a password so that we know what to type when ssh ask for a password :p
- Start the ssh server for the first time :
- The N900 IP can get it by executing :
ifconfigin the command line and interface "wlan0" is the wireless interface. Take note of the IP address.
- To access N900 using ssh, execute secure shell like any other ssh client on desktop. e.g.
A side note, this is how to secure SSH service on N900 by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config :
- Change the default ssh listening port 22 to other port. e.g. 22222
- only allow "user" (the default username that runs N900) to login through ssh, and not any user (root is 1 of the any user)
- allow only public key authentication,
- prevent brute force attack,
- disable root login,
- disable empty password login,
There are more options available, read it by executing the below command in a linux box, not N900 :
Au Revoir !!!